HOME CLUBS

 

Newark Town  

Est. 1868 

Venue

Collingham Football Club, Station Road, Collingham Tel: 01636 892303

Ground Capacity

1000

Home Strip

 Away Strip

Seating   -

Record Attendance

 
Who are ya? The Peaceful Warriors
What Division are you in? Step 7 - Central Midland Supreme Division
Websites http://newarktown.intheteam.com
http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/newarktownsatfc

 

You must have come in a taxi

 From North & South - Leave the A1 at the junction with the A46 and *follow signs for A46(Lincoln). At first roundabout, take the 1st exit for A1133 (Collingham). Continue for 3.2miles. Turn right at traffic lights into Station Rd. Ground is on LHS. There is little room for parking, so street parking is required.

From West - Take the A46 to the junction with the A1, then as North & South*.

From East -Take the A46 and just prior to the A1/A46 junction, take the exit at the roundabout for A1133 (Collingham). Continue for 3.2miles. Turn right at traffic lights into Station Rd. Ground is on LHS. There is little room for parking, so street parking is required.

     TravelWright No.67 (Newark Bus Station - Harby) & No.68 (Newark Bus Station - Lincoln) pass the Ground. Lincolnshire Roadcar No.67 (Newark Bus Station - Collingham) & TravelWright SL7 (Newark Bus Station - Collingham) terminate a short distance from the Ground.

   Collingham - 0.3 miles. Central Trains service between Nottingham & Lincoln. Walk north towards Collingham village on Station Road. The Ground is a short distance on the RHS.

For a map of the location, Click here.

 

My garden shed is bigger than this

As one of the oldest football clubs in the County, it is unfortunate that Newark Town's senior side find themselves playing their football outside of the historic market town's due to a lack of suitable facilities.  Whilst the Sunday sides ply their trade at Devon Park in Newark,  the Saturday side have had to take up residence 5 miles to the north east in the village of Collingham, in order to maintain their league status.

The Club was formed back in 1868, thoguh the earliest known report surfaced some 30 years later. This details a wonderful account of Nottingham Forest, then F.A.Cup holders, visiting Newark in April 1898:

 "Yesterday Newark was favoured with a visit by the Notts Forest football team, the English Cup holders for 1898. As soon as it was announced that the Reds were coming great interest was taken in the visit. At the dinner of the Newark Football Club a few weeks ago it was announced that if Notts Forest won the cup their manager had promised that they would bring it to Newark and play an exhibition game here. This promise was fulfilled yesterday when the cup-holders were warmly welcomed; and hospitably received by their ardent admirers and well-wishers at Newark. About 1200 people went to see them play the Newark team on our home ground. The crowd were in good humour and the game was enjoyed by all".

I beg to differ. Forest won five-nil.

The Club surprisingly didn't have to wait too long to gain their revenge. In 1906 they were to cause the biggest shock in Nottinghamshire footballing history, beating the mighty Forest to regain the Notts Senior Challenge Cup. This was Newark's third Senior Cup triumph, having originally won it back in 1895 and 1904. Whilst it was no doubt their proudest victory of the three, it also proved to be their last. This wasn't however the end of their Cup competition exploits. In the 1920's and 1930's the club enjoyed some notable successes in the F.A. Cup. The most significant of which being the first round slaying in 1930 of Rotherham United, before going down 6-0 at Crystal Palace, then riding high in the Third Division South. These days, the wonderfully nicknamed Peaceful Warriors ply their trade in the Central Midlands League.

Station Road bears many similarities to Kimberley Town's Stag Ground. Tucked away behind a row of houses besides a public footpath, it's existence could go undetected were it not for its six modern tall steel floodlights dominating the skyline. Like Kimberley, the Ground is also surrounded by a eight foot high metal fence, which cost 14,000 to install, and was partly funded by the Football Foundation. 

There are two major differences which set it apart form Kimberley. The first being the bright yellow sign at the foot of the driveway, welcoming visitors to the Collingham Football & Sports Club. The second, is the grandeur of its two-tiered clubhouse. Particularly notable for its colourful red roof, this huge building is set back from the pitch on the north side of the ground and dwarfs everything around it.  The first floor windows offer a wonderful elevated view of the action in the comfort of this modern brick built oasis. To the front are a row of benches for spectators to perch themselves. To its side is the ground's only covered area for spectators, which it made to look rather dated next to the Clubhouse. However, covered as it is to its sides, rear and roof with corrugated sheeting, this does provide adequate cover for those willing to brave the elements.

The pitch is completely surrounded on three sides by a white steel pitchside barrier. To the east of the ground there is a wooden fence, with no permanent barrier. On the south side of the ground are the dug outs for the two teams. These are traditional roofed affairs with bench seating for their occupants. The dugouts nestle in between the white barriers which on this side of the ground are heavily decorated with advertising hordes. 

Future Plans

Despite a major cash  injection of 150,000 from the Football Foundation, Town's second ground at Devon Park still does not have the facilities to host Central Midlands League football. As a result, there are no immediate plans for the senior team to move back to their home town. 

 

Additional photographs

   

              

                            Click on a thumbnail to view a full size picture.

Christopher Rooney - permission required for photo & text usage 

HOME CLUBS